Saturday, April 9, 2011

Flutter Crisps

This treat is the best of both. You get your marshmallow crispy & chocolate too! Not only is the surprise of a chocolate butterfly impressive, its easy to make as well.
In my quest to come up with something different to serve at up coming holidays & Birthday party’s, I found this tutorial on how to make chocolate butterflies. Hers are so delicate & beautiful. But I decided to let my girls help out. We decided to make ours thick & colorful. You really can’t mess these up! They’re that easy :)

For the butterflies you’ll need chocolate & white chocolate wafer’s (the kind used for candy making), parchment paper, 2 sandwich bags, pencil , card board (cereal box works well), and space in the freezer.

 Fold your card board in half. Fold your parchment paper in half. On the back of the paper crease, draw basic butterfly shapes. This will help you figure out how many you can make on each sheet.

Place a handful of chocolate wafers in one bag & the white in the other bag. Place each bag in a bowl of hot water to melt. After about 2 mins remove the chocolate bag. Twist the top like a pastry bag. Cut a small hole at the tip.
Now squeeze butterfly shapes on to the parchment paper. Make a whole sheet of them down the center crease. Prepare the white chocolate bag the same. Squeeze into the each of the chocolate wings.

Using a toothpick, swirl the 2 chocolates together.Make sure each wing is full with no holes. Now place the sheet on top of your cardboard form to hold the wings up & place in freezer for a few minutes.

Once chocolate has set, remove & start again until you have the amount of butterflies you need. We ended up using 2 sheets. That way when one was in the freezer we could work on the next set.
We put ours on top of rice crispy treats. Squeeze a small amount of chocolate into the middle of each treat & set butterfly on top.
Allow chocolate to harden at room temp.

That’s it! Just sit back and wait for the crowd to be amazed! They look so impressive but only you’ll know how easy it really is : )

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my!! the choco butterflies are the cutest... Bet they taste yumm as well..

TexWisGirl said...

when the pic first came up, i thought i was looking at some sort of clam shells on a seashore! :)

you're too crafty (i've said it before, i know...)

Paula said...

Awww, how beautiful. Great idea and they seem easy to make, I'll have to try this out :-)

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

These are very pretty! Can't wait ot try it. Very creative!
Come see me at http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

New follower :)

Allison said...

And I was thinking... "I think I can actually make these!" Until I arrived at "chocolate wafers" - ugh. No can do here in Oz... I'll have to wait till my next trip west. sigh.

They are so beautiful, though. What a great idea! (I have the fixings for rice crispie treats in my pantry... and I'm off!). xoxo

Allison said...

Hold that thought! I just had an idea what I could substitute! Stay tuned...

Libby said...

They look great! And yummy...now on a quest to find chocolate!

laughwithusblog said...

Oh these are the funnest! I don't know if I could draw the butterfly with the chocolate though. I am extremely challenged in that area, but I have to try it!

Suz said...

Very cute!! Might have to make some for easter. I bet you impress the pants off guests when you bring a plate of those to a party!

Megan said...

wow. this is a really great idea. I love it!

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the chocolate butterfly. Giving you a follow back. Thanks for stopping by Living at the Whitehead's Zoo. I look forward to reading more.
Amber

Diane Writes said...

Hi Trisha! You made me hungry. Like I want to have something sweet right now. Thank you for sharing.

Renee Hand said...

Those butterflies do look easy to do. Thanks for showing us how to make them. I am returning the follow from the hop. Thanks for stopping by.
http://thecryptocapersseries.blogspot.com
www.reneeahand.com
Renee

Jenny @ Faith + Pearl said...

Gorgeous! And I bet they are to die for delicious too. Thanks so much for checking out my little tote project and for following my blog. I'm now following you back! :)

xoxo
jenny

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Oh yum, I love the choccie butterflies! The whole thing looks delicious!